Of course, we are all aware that in horticultural marketing it will never be possible to position a product or a plant so strongly in the perception of end consumers that, for example, 80 - 90 % of all end consumers know the brand.
Nevertheless, from time-to-time companies in our industry manage quite well to draw attention to specific products. In this blog post we present some examples.
What are the prerequisites for the success of a branding process? Various prerequisites are necessary for brand building, as the picture below shows:
For the brand launch in the "green" sector, however, the following points should be given special attention:
- Outstanding product advantages - ideally special genetics that can also be recognised by the end consumer and not only by the expert.
- A long offer period - it is not really worth the effort of brand development if, for example, the offer period of the plant is only six weeks.
- Clear communication with the end consumer, in which emotions play a role, ideally linked to the product benefits.
- With good marketing around the product, it is possible to be successful for a year, possibly for two years.
- The brand can only be firmly anchored in the horticultural trade and in the perception of end consumers if the product really inspires them and fulfils all the "promises".
In this blog post we want to focus on some positive examples. These are plant brands that have been in the trade for several years and have been very successful for both producers and the trade.
Dianthus "Pink Kisses
Actually "only" a perennial carnation - but with an enormous abundance of flowers and stability. It has been on the market for almost 10 years and is one of the best-known brands of recent times.
Hydrangea "Endless Summer
The genetics of the US-based company Bailey Nurseries has been marketed in Europe for almost 20 years. The promise of "Endless Summer" has won over consumers. The brand relaunch that has just been carried out will help the brand to further success.
Hydrangea "Runaway Bride
An example of outstanding genetics! The first garland hydrangea in the world, coupled with excellent branding and PR work led to great sales successes over the last 5 years. Through long-term brand management, the brand is further promoted and anchored in the long-term perception of all participants in the value chain.
First Editions – an umbrella brand of different products
While "Pink Kisses", "Endless Summer" and "Runaway Bride" focus on the benefits of one plant or plant group, "First Editions" is an umbrella brand that unites different plant groups. Within the framework of IPM 2023, a brand relaunch was presented, which will also help this brand to achieve improved perception in the European market.
Would you also like to launch a product and build a brand? The teams of Media Concept Switzerland and Gregg Marketing look forward to talking to you.